Founded in 1986, Custom Thermal Applications has since developed a reputation as a premier designer, manufacturer, installer, and retrofitter of combustion systems for industrial process heating applications. Equipped with over three decades of industry experience, we have the knowledge and skills to handle a wide range of equipment and systems, including boilers, heaters, ovens, and thermal oxidizers. For new or existing units, we ensure the solutions we provide meet or exceed the highest industry standards (including CSA and TSSA).
Industrial combustion systems rely on numerous parts to perform their function. One of the main components is the combustion burner, which combines fuel with an air/gas mixture to achieve controlled combustion inside of the system. The following article provides an overview of this device, including what it is and how it works, types available, key benefits, and typical applications.
An Overview of Industrial Combustion Burners
As indicated above, industrial combustion burners are used to facilitate controlled combustion. By combining and then igniting fuel and air/gas, they provide heat that helps achieve and maintain specific temperatures within the combustion chamber, depending on the levels required for the particular process.
While all combustion burners operate under the same basic principles—i.e., creating heat energy by burning a mix of fuel and oxygen—they are available in several designs to meet the requirements and restrictions of different industrial applications. These variations may differ in regard to fuel capacities, mixing methods, dissemination methods, and more. The four main types available are:
- Cold air burners:These burners mix fuel with the surrounding air at ambient temperatures. They are commonly used in range of applications from residential equipment, such as home heating furnaces and water heaters, to large industrial furnaces and boilers.
- Hot air burners:These burners employ a central heat-exchanging mechanism to pre-heat air for combustion. They are often used in high-temperature industrial applications.
- Regenerative burners:These burners work in alternating pairs using exhaust heat temporarily stored in ceramic heat regenerators, resulting in greater efficiency and lower emissions in combustion applications.
- Oxy-fuel burners:These burners mix gas fuel with pure oxygen instead of air, which results in primarily carbon dioxide and water vapor emissions. They are often utilized in industrial welding and metalworking applications.
All four types use fuel mixed with some form of air or oxygen to produce heat energy. The mixing process can be performed inside of a pre-mix chamber or at the burner nozzle, depending on the needs of the application and the conditions in the surrounding environment.
Benefits of Industrial Combustion Burners
Compared to more traditional heat production technology, industrial combustion burners offer numerous benefits, such as:
- Greater efficiency: Industrial combustion burners allow for greater control over fuel and air/gas input, ensuring optimal levels are present during combustion operations and, consequently, combustion occurs more efficiently.
- Smaller maintenance requirements: Newer burner technology ensures the system maintains any user-made adjustments, resulting in greater dependability during operations and better consistency between operations without significant operator oversight.
- Better cost-effectiveness: Replacing existing burners with newer models helps improve process efficiency, including in regard to energy utilization. This quality results in lower overall operating costs.
- Lower emission levels: Some industrial combustion burners use heat recycled from previous operations to raise temperatures within the system without increasing the total amount of emissions produced.
At Custom Thermal Applications, we understand that each industry is facing unique challenges in a changing world. In light of fluctuating fossil fuel prices and increasingly strict emissions standards, companies employing combustion systems must look for more efficient burner technology. Our team is here to help. We offer custom high-efficiency burner solutions that meet each customer’s unique application requirements.
Applications of Industrial Combustion Burners
Industrial combustion burners find application in the combustion equipment and systems—e.g., boilers, furnaces, heaters, kilns, ovens, and dryers—of a wide range of industries, including the following:
- Chemical processing
- Food and beverage processing
- Glass production
- Pulp and paper
High-Efficiency Industrial Combustion Burners at Custom Thermal Applications
Industrial combustion burners play a critical role in combustion applications. They allow for better combustion efficiency, lower emission levels, and smaller operating costs. However, experiencing these benefits necessitates choosing and installing the right one in your combustion system. If you require high-efficiency combustion burners, the Custom Thermal Applications experts are here for you.
At Custom Thermal Applications, we have extensive experience designing, manufacturing, installing, and retrofitting combustion systems. Our custom design/build capabilities allow us to produce an appropriate, CSA/TSSA-compliant burner solution for virtually any industrial process heating application. For additional information about our industrial burner offerings and how they can benefit your facility, contact us or request a quote today.